Beat's 'Made in Belfast' Carnival on 19th September 2014
In 2013, our carnival parade was a highlight of Culture Night Belfast, as we brought you the final performance of international hip-hop carnival project, Urban Ballet. Performances had already taken place in Portugal, France and South Africa. With our international partners we produced a finale performance, the Belfast Urban Ballet on Fri 20 Sep. This year, we're keeping it local - and we are expanding the presentation by adding a big street choir. Come and be part of the big parade buzz!
On Friday 19th September
8.00 to 9.45pm Custom House Square, City Centre, Donegall Street
Beat's 'Made In Belfast' Carnival 2014
• The Parade 8.00 to 9.00pm From Custom House Square via Royal Avenue to Donegall Street
Featuring Beat’s 2014 Belfast Urban Ballet performance, our Made In Belfast Carnival Parade is the highlight of our Made in Belfast Carnival week and the finale of Culture Night Belfast (CNB14). Join us for this free event - and bring your family and friends!
1) Urban Ballet. The UB Dancers will be driven along by the massive sound of Carnival Drummers, the Beat Street Choir and the Carnival Band. Building on last year's Urban Ballet drumming score, Beat Musician In Residence 2014, Katie Richardson, has composed music and written lyrics inspired by Belfast. Our Beat Street Choir and Carnival Band will perform the songs alongside a massed drum section led by our own BEATnDRUM samba band.
2) The Night Garden. Next in parade line, reflecting Culture Night’s Growth theme... Beat's Giant Gardener, enjoying an Urban Garden of flower lanterns and music sprouting from the new Belfast Guitar Orchestra. For this section of the parade, we've been working with members of community, youth and arts groups from across Belfast, who've been working hard to bring you a magical parade inspiring pride in our shared city.
• The Finale 9.15pm to 9.45pm Donegall Street to the front of St Anne's Cathedral
3) TUSK and Urban Ballet songs and dance finale. At 9.15 our carnival parade floods into Donegall Street, a mammoth performance of Fleetwood Mac’s Tusk featuring the new Belfast Guitar Orchestra with the dancers, singers and drummers will lead us into Urban Ballet’s music and dance crescendo at the steps of St Anne’s Cathedral. We'd love you to be there!
• Join the Big Rehearsal
this Sunday, 14th. We're still recruiting singers and dancers for this spectacular event - no previous experience necessary and full and free tuition is provided! If you'd like to take part, email email@example.com ASAP - and please help spread the word!
Watch highlights of our 2013 Urban Ballet spectacular: