Carnival 2009 Music
There has been lots of great musical development in this year's carnival with the enthusiastic involvement of local musicians... writing, recording, rehearsing, and dressing-up!
Funk to the Beat
Samba drummers, instrumentalists, singers and dancers have all joined forces with superb London-based jazzer, Barak Schmool, to put together an exciting programme of pieces that will be performed from a float during the parade and then on the Carnival Stage at City Hall. You will recognise the tunes and they will be more upbeat and happenin' than ever!
The Carnival Supergroup
This Belfast Supergroup is made up from members of top up-and-coming bands and individuals such as:
- The Jane Bradfords
- John Shelly and the Creatures
- Mojo Fury
- Katie and the Carnival
- Cara Cowan
- John d'Arcy
- SilouhettE (Shauna Tohill)
- Steve Toner (Queer Giraffes)
... to bring you medleys and songs from the top artists of the last number of decades. The thing that ties them all together is that each song is in some way inspired by SPACE. Needless to say, Bowie is included!
The Carnival Composers
We have original music being composed for the floats this year
Musicians such as:
- Phil Watts d'Alton (John Shelly and the Creatures)
- Ger Gormley (John Shelly and the Creatures)
- Dominic O'Neill (ex Delawares), Rory O'Connor and Cully McLaughlin played alongside Dominic on the Yellow Star recording, with Ciara O'Neill singing
- Iain Todd
- Dominic Coyle (Pocket Promise)
have been giving their time and creativity to come up with some wonderful pieces that will be played from the carnival floats.