Beat Carnival Costume Trainee Programme January and February 2021
Beat Carnival wants to expand the number of available people who have the enthusiasm and skills necessary to be members of our Costume Team.
We are seeking two talented, creative individuals to join a training programme in the New Year. In the programme they will learn how to design and create Carnival costume for a new event. After completing the programme there will be opportunities to work on Beat Carnival projects as freelance costume artists.
In January – February workshops, trainees will:
- Create a feature costume from a design brief, with community costumes designed to match the theme.
- Learn new methods for costume creation and fabric manipulation, including use of traditional Caribbean carnival wire-bending.
- Design / produce props and small sculptures.
Trainees will attend teaching and production sessions with Beat’s Costume Designer at Beat Carnival Centre on Monday and Friday afternoons, see dates below:
Introductory day – Friday 15th January – 1:30pm – 6:30pm
Monday and Friday workshops 1:30 – 3:30pm
18th , 22nd , 25th and 29th January
1st ,5th ,8th ,12th ,15th ,19th ,22nd and 26th February
There will be an additional seven days in the Carnival Workshop to complete the project, on dates that are suitable, to be confirmed later.
This is a paid opportunity for artistic development.
Time commitment is a total of 80 hours.
Trainees will be paid £9.00ph, totalling £720 for the project.
For each place we are looking for an individual who can evidence the following skills and attributes:
- Creativity and ability to think imaginatively
- Competency in hand and machine sewing
- Pattern making knowledge
- Ability to work as part of a team and also be self-directed
- Ability to work within a budget
- Ability to work to a brief/theme with good attention to detail
- Ability to work to deadlines
- Be organised, safe and tidy
This has been made possible by Arts Council of Northern Ireland’s Organisations Emergency Programme.
To apply, please send a portfolio, CV and brief covering letter outlining your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for application is on Wednesday 30th December and decisions will be made by Wednesday 6th January at the latest.
This information can be downloaded here